Strategic Consultancy & Project Management
FE Associates have a long-established reputation as trusted providers of strategic advice, guidance and project management to a significant number of colleges and
Our strategic consultancy team have supported a large number of change programmes including mergers, acquisitions, Transaction Unit funding applications, efficiency projects, strategic reviews, curriculum reviews, funding bids, provider reorganisations and, funding and data reviews. All of our consultancy team and associates are expert practitioners, with experience rooted in senior roles in colleges and providers.
Our consultancy team is made up of former Principals/Chief Executives, Vice Principals, Directors of Finance, Directors of HR, MIS and Funding Directors.
Due to our unique approach to project management and consultancy, and the highly skilled experts we deploy, we are not just strategic advisors, our people deliver on the ground. We roll up our sleeves and work alongside governors, leaders and managers to make change happen in the most effective way. We are practitioners who are deeply embedded in the learning and skills sector and therefore we are able to support you as your trusted advisors whilst working with your people to make change happen.
Examples of a strategic projects include:
- Merger feasibility study for two colleges in the South East
- Merger project management for two significant London colleges
- Support for a number of colleges in preparing applications to the Restructuring Fund
- Development work for a large group of Local Authorities on post-devolution funding models
- Supporting groups of colleges to develop collaborative working proposals for apprenticeship provision
- Working with a large college group, post-merger, to develop proposals for the internal structures to support effective apprenticeship delivery
- Support for two colleges and a local authority to develop new provision in an FE and Skills ‘cold spot’
- Conducting a Board effectiveness review for a large South East College
- Facilitating strategic planning workshops for a local authority provider of adult and community learning
- Developing collaborative working proposals for a large group of central London adult and community learning providers
- Working with the senior management team of a large college in the East of England on the development of efficient curriculum management arrangements
Following the completion of the Area Based Review process in London, FE Associates were engaged by London Councils, the representative body for London’s 32 borough councils, to complete a research and consultancy project to identify a distinct role and focus for Adult Community Learning in London whilst developing proposals for a commissioning model focused on future funding arrangements for Adult Community Learning in London. As well as proposing new approaches and policies for the London skills system, the project also engaged a wide range of stakeholders to shape future thinking and practice.
Mergers are not something college governing bodies embark on that often. Once a decision in principle is made, the strategic direction the merger takes is a vital consideration that mustn’t be overlooked before operational planning and execution can take place. There will be differing views from competing perspectives to be navigated. FE Associates were outstanding in the support they gave HCUC in the successful merger between Uxbridge and Harrow Colleges in 2017.